A few years ago I started taking the day off from work to watch Opening Day of baseball. One of my favorite days of the year. It was obvious to join my love of craft beer, baseball, and having a day off from work, into one glorious day. I really need to name it.
This year is different. Instead of a tradition Monday start it’s a Thursday. I’m fine with it because they are not doing any funky stuff like having games in Japan or having a game on the Sunday night before. Just straight up begins on Thursday morning and goes all day.
So here is a brief rundown of my day. I will probably update as the day goes by as I had to put this post together quickly.
OPENING DAY DRINKING & ACTIVITY SCHEDULE
- 8:00 AM PT: Wake up late because I recorded the Perfect Pour last night and I’m starting out a bit hungover. Blueberry pancakes and lots coffee.
- 9:30 AM PT: Clean the studio/man-cave from the podcast the night before.
- 9:40 AM PT: Cubs vs. Marlins begins the 162 game season. I’ll have a Modern Times “Blackhouse” coffee stout to begin the drinking day.
- 10:10 AM PT: Cards vs. Mets joins the game watching. Still milking the Blackhouse (gotta keep this up for 12 hours).
- 12:05 PM PT: Twins vs. Orioles. First AL game of the season! Maybe a little Wiffleball, now thinking about what beer is next. Likely a Modern Times again as there was a sale at Total Wine.
- 12:35 PM PT: Astros vs. Rangers. First AL West game, now the season truly has begun.
- 12:37 PM PT: Yanks vs. Bluejays. Time to put burgers on the grill!
- 1:00 PM PT: Red Sox vs. Rays. Do I dare open up a third beer?
- 1:05 PM PT: Oakland A’s vs. Los Angeles Angels. Highlight of the day! My favorite team is the A’s and it’s a rare treat to have their game on so early on opening day. Usually, I’m fading by 7:00. I think the A’s have a good team this year and if their starting pitching can surprise, they can legit challenge for the West.
- 4:08 PM PT: Giants vs. Dodgers: I hate these teams which means it’s fun to hate-watch. I might be veering off the Modern Times or going back to the Blackhouse for the coffee at this point. I’ll probably be feeling good, at any rate.
- 7:10 PM PT: Indians vs. Mariners: Hopefully I am not too bloated and filled with toasted onion dip, at this point. Gotta finish off my AL West support!
There is more to do and talk about. I just wanted to get a quick schedule up. I’ll be updating on my Twitter and Instagram feed (@mikeytoppour) along with my Untappd feed (@dorktown). Along with this post.
Please hit me up with a comment here or on social media and let me know what you’re doing for Opening Day! Cheers and PLAY BALL!